Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Beginning Reveal

Today is reveal day over at Tangled Textiles for the last in our Theme challenges.  Vicki picked this theme and you can read some of the challenges that all of us faced.  Here is my piece, which I have called Fowl Beginnings.
 
One of the challenges that I faced for this piece included curved piecing.  I used this to created the branches in the piece.  As you can see the curves were simple and few!!

 
I added leaves using fused applique...(oops picture is on its side, but you get the idea)

 
 and set myself to adding a nest using wool roving, some feathered fur and some dyed kunin felt that I distressed.  I used fine tulle to hold it in place till I could stitch it down.


 
It didn't look the way I had envisioned it so I added some decorative wool to the edge to create some additional depth and texture.  The sewing machine foot kept getting caught in the wool, so I covered this with tracing paper and stitched it all down.  This is what it looked like.

 
 
I tore away the paper and then added eggs.  I used a pigma pen to create the cracks in the egg and a tiny sliver of yellow felt for the beak.  Do they look like they are ready to hatch?
 
 
Whew!  I managed to try some things that I had not done before and I must admit, even though frustrating at times, it was fun to see the idea I envisioned turn into a reality.
 
Stop by the Tangled Textiles blog and see what the others came up with.
 
Till the next time,  keep stitching.
 

2 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Really, really beautiful Brigitte!

Peggy said...

Beautiful! Love your imagination!