Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Thread University - Part II

I've been busy finishing off some more projects from Superior Threads' "University".  If you recall I initially posted the first few projects here.

Now I've completed a few more.  Here is a project that provided an exercise using fusible thread. Yup you heard right; fusible thread.
This little wall hanging was created with Superior's Monopoly thread and Charlotte's Fusible Web (which is actually a thread).  You use the fusbile thread in your bobbin.

After drawing out your applique pieces on your fabric and before cutting it apart, you stitch just inside the seam line of your applique pieces with the Monopoly.  The back of the fabric with the fusible thread looks like this.
Now you cut out the applique pieces, and press them to the background, and the Monopoly thread comes away from the piece leaving them ready for decorative stitching.  I used a blanket stitch.
I realized afterward that I had the stitch working in the wrong direction.  Oh well, I'll call it "a happy accident".

The next project involved working with their So Fine trilobal polyester line of thread.  Using So Fine #50, the project was to create a memo pad cover. Instead of batting, Soft and Stable was used to give the cover some "substance".   Here's mine.
             
I got to try So Fine #30 in the next project, a "crafter's apron".  I had used a heavier canvas for this piece so the heavier weight of this thread worked out beautifully for the decorative stitching on the perimeter.
Next up projects include playing with Texture Magic and Superior's Masterpiece line.

Till the next time, remember to measure twice and cut once.

2 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

neat! I've liked all the Superior products that I've tried, but it sure hasn't been quite as many as you are getting to try!

Gina said...

Thanks for sharing this neat thread/fusible technique. And I thought I wouldn't need anything for at least a year from the fabric/etc store!